Tomorrow I have to go to Toronto for a meeting. It's not my favourite way to spend a Wednesday, but it's an infrequent-yet-necessary evil that comes with my job. The silver lining is that I always get to travel Via1, which means big chairs, decent meals, and lots of wine.
So here's the thing that is giving me pause to reflect: I apparently have a deep-rooted need to pack geek survival gear for even the shortest of trips. Tomorrow's sojourn will see me on the 6:30am train to Toronto and returning on the Noon train back to London - a journey lasting about 8 hours in total, with at least 4 hours involving 'sitting on trains'.
As I peer inside my shoulder bag (it's a very manly leathery thing) I find:
- a fully-charged iPod with an up-to-date selection of music, videos, Disney podcasts, and games
- a standby iPod charger
- the first 2 volumes of Sandman
- a plastic Mewtew (good luck charm - long story)
- a couple of thumb drives containing gawd-knows-what
- a disposable digital vidcam
- a couple of pieces of paper which I probably need for my meeting
Sure hope I don't get bored.