Saturday, February 14, 2009

Minty - With a Slight Tingle

Because I so love Make magazine, but some projects can only be sucessful in Dreamland, it was time to do something more suited to the semi-133t skilz of JediBoy and I. We chose a nifty little portable iPod charger - the MintyBoost. It's purpose: provide emergency battery-powered recharging for an iPod (or a cellphone or an MP3 player or whatever can live on 5V recharging) for those times when you can't simply plug something into the wall. We've finished one charger already, and we're working on a second. For less than $35 in parts and a few hours of our time, it's not a bad deal. Observe:

Take one tin of Altoids
(we chose the mints, but gum works, too).


Empty out the mints for later!


Cut a hole in the side for a USB plug. I found
that drilling works best, although some
folks have cool nibbler tools that makes this
step a lot easier.


Add some circuitry stuff and batteries. Line
the tin bottom with duct tape (to avoid
circuit shorts) and hot-glue everything in place.


Plug in your iPod and re-charge!

4 comments:

Pagan Mnemosyne said...

I bow at your awesomeness.

Oh, my frickin' knees...

David Webb said...

Holy crap. I remember when it took me 2-3 hours to change my Ipod battery. And how yesterday's reno job took 4 hours instead of the the expected 30 minutes. I too bow to your awesomeness.

Ah, my back!

Crazylegs said...

You guys are way too kind. It's not awesomeness - just the dull-witted ability to follow someone else's recipe with a soldering iron in hand. The awesomeness exudes from the pores of those folks who think up these projects in the first place!

David Webb said...

"It's not awesomeness - just the dull-witted ability to follow someone else's recipe with a soldering iron in hand"


Hahahahahahah! Oh, I just peed myself. I can barely write in cursive. Solder circuits? Hah! Bash circuit with hammer? Good!