Tuesday, June 09, 2009

I Lose The Bet

More fun with cellphone cams: One of my walking partners (sans sticks, I might add) recently bet me that London's storied Jet D'Eau would be broken down by the end of June. I took the more charitable view that we'd make it until Autumn before repairs were necessary. By mid-day today, this was the sad tableau down the Forks.


Heavy equipment, a portable sewage sucker, disassembled jets, a man with a clipboard - we wept from the bridge.

Update: I'm pleased to announce that by 5pm all was as it should be, and the glorious arches of tawny liquid were once again creating rainbows to thrill the graffitti-boys patrolling the riverside playground. Halleluiah! In your face Eiffel Tower!

1 comment:

Sonny Drysdale said...

Crazy - just the other day I read an on-line Letter to the Editor in our daily sad-exuse-for-not-being-the-internet newspaper and lo and behold - someone else had made that same wager as you and your walking friend.

As a resident of that neighbourhood who has to see that giant ejaculating missile whenever I cross the River Thames, I expected to hate it on first sight.

Now that I've seen it, I can rest easy - there's no way this thing is gonna bring in the tourists.

As Oscar Wilde once commented during his 'honeymoon' here with Sarah Palin's 18-year-old daughter whilst visiting the Forks of the Thames - "Eldon House - and that exaggerated example of Phallicism situated down in the river bottom, must be the first of many disappointments of the Married Life in all of the Provinces, let alone the Forest City.

"Oh, and incidently, where are the forests? And will there be wood-nymphs?"

Course not, we're in London, man.