Sunday, January 18, 2009

When Meetspace and Meatspace Don't Meet


I missed last night's Who Tavern and I'm a tad pissed about it. Two reasons: I missed it, I said I was pretty sure I'd be there.

Before I continue, let's level-set with the best explanation of Who Tavern I can find.

Clear enough? Let's continue.

My Innertubes friend, The Kid, extended a very gracious invitation a few days ago to hang-out at a local variation of such an event. While my Saturday night was already booked, I was pretty sure that I'd be able to show up a little later in the evening and see what's what. While generally a shy fellow inside, I was intrigued by the idea of meeting some fellow Dr. Who fans. I was also intrigued by the promise of walking to up my Innertubes friends, The Kid and Jim Dandy, extending a firm handshake and saying in a loud-but-not-overly-jovial voice, "Hi, my name is Kevin - but you might know me as Crazylegs. So, what are we drinking? I'm buying the first round.".

But like so many things I plan at the last minute, Fate conspired against me.

Strike 1: Our (slightly) out-of-town visitors lingered awhile longer than they planned - hoping the snow might taper off for the drive home. As we eventually bade farewell and bon chance to our guests, my attention focused on JediBoy's hours-old Xbox360 wireless adaptor.

Strike 2: I had promised to get XboxLive up-and-running before the night was done. I'm an IT professional - so how hard was it gonna be? The Xbox360, of course, had an answer for that question that required an obscene amount of tinkering with port-forwarding, MS Live accounts, and parental permissions.

Before all my obligations were met, the clock was on the wrong side of 10pm and I elected to just shovel the driveway and feel bad.

So guys - my apologies. I hope you had a good time. And should the planets align someday and we're all in the same place at the same time, remember: I'm buying.

3 comments:

Pagan Mnemosyne said...

We were sad you couldn't make it, CL, but you're not off the hook. We're meeting again in March (DTBD), and this time there's homework. You have to create an art project relating to Doctor Who. It can be any medium, but you have to make it.

So get to work.

Crazylegs said...

A challenge! Lessee - diorama? poster? flipbook? video? Playdoh sculpture?

Oh! Interpretive dance! I just knew that floppy hat and long scarf would find a use someday!

David Webb said...

Crap. I was going to to Playdoh and interpretive dance. And how in the hell did we both have the same idea?

Anyway, I'm pissed that I missed out on a free beer. See you in March.

P.S. Sometimes figuring out those niggling technical issues is the most important thing in the world. I mean, it should just work. What the hell is wrong? Fuck!

If you want to hear more yelling and swearing, Who Tavern. I wave my hands around a lot too.